Nationwide Air Source Heat Pump Installation
If you are looking for air source heat pump installation, Boilerhut works with some of the best brands available in the UK: Viessmann and Alpha.
We work with Viessmann directly to build you a system that works with your home and lifestyle.
We have installers across the UK and work with brands for the best servicing. All this means Boilerhut is very well placed to help you throughout the life of your air source heat pump installation.
Boilerhut isn’t just about gas, LPG and oil. We’re about heating technology and the best options for you and your home. This might be an air source heat pump or a boiler (we also design and install solar systems). We want to give you all the best information to make the best decision for you.
What are the advantages of an air source heat pump?
As a summary, the main advantages are:
- Environmentally friendly – They do not burn fuel, but they do use electricity.
- Minimal maintenance – Most units available are sealed (similar to a fridge) and only need to be kept debris-free around the fans and filters.
- Efficient models – Viessmann and Alpha have some of the best energy efficiencies at between 350-400% (depending on conditions). The most energy-efficient gas boiler we sell is the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W which is 98% efficient.
- Government grant – The boiler upgrade scheme, or BUS, is available for air source heat pumps for £7,500.
- Safer than combustion boilers – It’s very, very rare that modern boilers aren’t safe, but there is always a slight risk with burning gas, LPG or oil.
- Lifespan – Most brands expect 20+ years for a well-installed and maintained system.
- Solar powered – A solar system on your property could run, or partially run (depending on the power of your solar), your heat pump.
- Quiet – Most units are very quiet. They’re designed to run using as little power as possible and are outside.
- Some models can provide heating and cooling – Some models of air source heat pumps can run as air conditioners and heat pumps.
What are the disadvantages of an air source heat pump?
As a summary, the main disadvantages are:
- Expensive to run – Electricity is (at the time of writing this) 2-4 times the price of gas. This means that although air source heat pumps are 350-400% efficient, you’re spending 3-4 times more on energy.
- Installation cost – Air source heat pumps are expensive to install, especially if you need to upgrade your property’s insulation, radiators and pipework as well.
- Not suitable for all – Many properties will not be suitable for an air source heat pump. You need to run the system at much lower radiator temperatures meaning larger radiators and thicker pipework around the home.
- Not all electricity is green – Over the past 12 months approximately 36% of energy has come from fossil fuels (this is a great site that shows live usage and usage over time).
More Information About Air Source Heat Pumps
- Get a quote for an air source heat pump >
- Air source heat pump regulations >
- Viessmann air source heat pump range >
- Hybrid heat pump review >
- Heat pumps vs solar panels – a guide >
- Alternatives to gas boilers >
- How much electricity does a heat pump use? >