Best Boilers to buy in Cardiff 2023
To make sure you are well prepared during the winter months of 2022, we’ll look at high-efficiency boiler options and ways to avoid boiler problems in harsh winter times. Cardiff is one of the chief commercial centres in the country and the base for most national cultural and sporting institutions. It has the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, with notable alumni such as Anthony Hopkins. Cardiff makes up over a third of the total population of Wales, with a 2016 population estimate of about 1.1 million people. Cardiff is also one of the most popular visitor destinations in Wales with almost 19 million visitors in 2010.
Cardiff Winters – Wet and Cold
Cardiff lies within the north temperate zone and has an essentially maritime climate characterised by mild weather that is often cloudy, wet and windy throughout the year. Winters are fairly wet but don’t have excessive rainfall. The temperature usually stays above freezing, but it can get really cold at nights, especially if there is a strong wind. The northern part of the county, being higher and inland tends to be even colder and wetter than the city centre. Of course, that can all change as it did with the Beast of the East cold wave throughout Great Britain and Ireland.
Why get a new boiler?
If your house is not properly insulated, or if your boiler is more than 8-12 years old, chances are your house is not being heated optimally or consistently. There are a couple of ways you can go about looking for new boilers Cardiff.
Chances are your old boiler is running on older non-condensing technology, which means it’s only about 50% to 70% efficient. In monetary terms, that means you’re losing about £30 to £50 for every £100 you’re paying on your energy bills. Whereas a modern condensing boiler is 90%+ efficient. Some boilers Cardiff (like certain Viessmann models) are close to 98% efficiency. That would make a massive difference in energy savings over the long term!
Because modern condensing boilers Cardiff are highly efficient, they can make any fuel they’re burning to heat your home go further and last longer. This means on top of having more consistent heat and hot water throughout your house, you also save a ton of your money on energy costs. Replacing an old G-rated non-condensing boiler with the latest high-efficiency A-rated condensing boiler and managing your heating controls sensibly can save you anywhere between £500 to £1000 per annum*.
(*Based on savings reported by consumers using a Viessmann A-rated boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger working at 90%+ efficiency.)
Extras with your new boiler
On top of saving a tonne of your money on energy bills, you get modern tech goodies like:
- Boiler Plus Legislation 2018 Compliant Boilerhut Combipack 4 Programmable Room Thermostat.
- Tado Smart Thermostat where you don’t heat an empty house. It adjusts the temperature after you leave your house.
- A Tado Smartphone App lets you manage the temperature of your whole house or individual rooms on-the-go regardless of where you are.
Best Combi Boilers Cardiff 2023
Let’s hope you’re not left without heating and hot water in the middle of freezing sub-zero temperatures. Because you thought your 20-year-old boiler will keep standing the test of time. Especially if it’d already had some repairs. It’s better to be proactive this time around and switch to modern, condensing boilers Cardiff. Below is a list of what we think are the best boilers available in Cardiff on great online boiler deals. This list is in order based on our preference, backed up by heating engineers with over 40 years experience:
- Viessmann Vitodens 050-W and 100-W
- Worcester Bosch 29CDi Classic
- Vaillant ecoTEC Plus
- Ideal Logic Plus 24
- Baxi EcoBlue Plus
We may be biased towards Viessmann, but that’s because of a reason. Viessmann are the ONLY boiler manufacturer in the UK market with their own patented, inox-radial stainless steel heat exchanger. All other boiler manufacturers (including Worcester Bosch and Vaillant) use either a standard aluminium plate heat exchanger or a generic steel heat exchanger.
Our heating engineers swear that Viessmann’s heat exchanger is the best they’ve seen in their 40 years of installing boilers. Not only is inox stainless steel more efficient than aluminium, but it is also highly corrosion-resistant. This means that compared to all other boiler manufacturers, it will be just as energy-efficient with lesser wear and tear 10-15 years down the road. Germans don’t manufacture shoddy products, and this is no exception. You will rest much easier during winter with your feet up and a glass of cognac knowing you have the best product inside your boiler. A couple of more features unique to Viessmann boilers Cardiff:
- Cylinder Burner and Thermal Stores made of Stainless Steel.
- High-Efficiency Modulation between 4kW and 25kW.
- Combined PRV and Condensate Connection.
- In-built Shock Arresters. (Ensures quiet operation and reduces water hammer)
- 10 Years Warranty on the Boiler and Stainless Steel Heat Exchanger.
Helpful Tips for Common Combi Boiler Problems in Cardiff
How to Avoid your Condensate Pipe getting Frozen?
If you already have a condensing boiler, and you’ve run into a boiler breakdown during winter because of a frozen condensate pipe, you’re not alone. During the winter months, we often face waves of customers experiencing the same issues. The solution in many cases is as simple as thawing the condensate pipe really.
Below are the steps:
- Avoid cutting the condensate pipe unless absolutely necessary, and deemed safe by a Gas Safe registered engineer. That’s because the condensate pipe is considered to be part of the flue of the boiler.
- Check the condensate pipe to see where it may have frozen.
- Heat some water. Make sure it’s not boiling water.
- Take the hot water outside in a jug or a watering can, and then pour it over the frozen section of the pipe. Generally pouring hot water on pipe elbows and horizontal parts of the pipe does the job.
- You can also use a hot water bottle. Place it over the pipe and leave it for a few minutes.
If you’re getting a new boiler installed, or want to avoid having the condensate pipe frozen in the future, you can also consider Type-O insulation pictured below:
Online Boiler Quote for Best Boilers Cardiff
Free, no-obligation online quote within minutes. Installed in days.
To start the quoting process, simply enter your postcode below and hit the green button:
Most plumbing and heating companies can take up to 4-5 weeks to quote, survey and install the boiler for you. At Boilerhut we do things differently. We leverage digital technology to make the whole process faster and cheaper for you. Here’s how it works:
- Get a free, no-obligation online boiler quote within minutes
- You’ll get an initial price estimate, which you can finalise upon discussion with one of our trained surveyors.
- Our final price may differ from the initial price estimate depending on your circumstances.
- If you accept the final price, we can organise a mutually convenient install date.
- You may have to provide some photos of your current boiler system for us to confirm prices and plan the installation better.
If your boiler installation is not so straightforward, we’ll schedule a no-obligation, free home survey within a couple of days, again, not weeks.