First Published: February 13, 2024. Updated: February 13, 2024
Oil Boiler Installation
In this guide we explore oil boiler installation. It presents a viable alternative for the UK’s off-grid homes or those seeking an alternative to a gas boiler. This detailed guide offers insights into the installation process, costs, benefits, and considerations for those contemplating a switch to oil boiler heating.
Understanding Oil Boiler Installation
- Installation Overview: Unlike gas boilers, oil boilers draw fuel from a tank typically located in the garden, not from the mains. The installation process, which usually takes about a day ensures efficiency levels comparable to modern gas boilers. Oil boilers are a cost-effective heating solution. They offer flexibility in fuel purchase and stockpiling options.
- Costs Involved: The price of the boiler itself ranges from £2,200 to £5,000. This is heavily dependent on brand, type, size, and heating requirements. Installation costs vary between £1,800 and £3,000. Changing your boiler type will be more expensive than a ‘simple’ replacement. Despite the initial outlay, oil heating is generally cheaper monthly than LPG or electric alternatives. Potential financial assistance is available through various grants.
- Regulatory Aspect: Contrary to rumors, oil boilers are not being banned in existing homes. The 2025 mandate for new builds to have low-carbon heating solutions does not impact the use of oil boilers in current residences.
Benefits of Choosing an Oil Boiler
- Flexibility: Allows purchasing fuel at the lowest prices and stocking up as needed.
- Efficiency: Modern oil boilers convert over 90% of oil into heating energy.
- Compatibility: Works alongside renewable systems like solar panels or heat pumps.
Selecting the Right Oil Boiler
Choosing the correct oil boiler depends on your home’s size, hot water needs, and current boiler setup. Options include:
- Combi Oil Boilers: Ideal for smaller homes with one bathroom, offering on-demand hot water without needing tanks. See more about oil combi boilers >
- System Oil Boilers: Suitable for medium-sized homes, these boilers store hot water in tanks, requiring space for installation.
- Regular Oil Boilers: Best for larger properties, capable of handling high demand with their double tank setup.
The Installation Process: A Detailed Look
- It is essential to assess the current boiler setup. This will help an installer understand how things may need to change, stay the same or be upgraded. Do you want to change the type of boiler? Would you need a hot water cylinder? For example.
- Relocating the boiler is also something that needs careful thought. Moving a boiler required different fuel pipes and radiator pipework. If you have or are changing to a combi boiler, you will also require a cold water pipe and a hot water pipe.
- It is common for oil boilers to be outside the home. They are all generally floor-standing but some come in protective and insulated housings for external use. This can save room in your home and minimise oil boiler installation mess and disruption.
Sizing Your Boiler:
- Like with all boilers, sizing your boiler correctly is vital. You don’t want to under or overpower your boiler. An underpowered boiler will work harder for longer, reducing the lifespan. It may also be unable to produce the heat needed for your home. Overpowering a boiler means you will pay too much for heating and, with a combi, hot water.
- With all boilers the number of rooms, radiators and hot taps and showers are key. If you are getting an oil combi boiler you will need to ensure the system can provide enough hot water for your family requirements. In general system boilers are less powerful than combi boilers as they don’t need to heat hot water on demand. But sizing them correctly is still important.
Removing Old Units and System Flush:
- Central heating systems are drained prior to boiler or system work.
- An oil engineer will come and remove the old boiler. This is usually a reasonably simple process.
- A complete mains-powered system flush should be performed. This will remove corrosion and improve efficiency.
Oil boiler installation:
- Where required a new oil line/pipe may need to be installed. This will depend on if the current line is in good condition and meets current regulations.
- Fitting a fire valve to cut off fuel supply in case of excessive temperatures.
- Consider a plume flue kit. This manages exhaust gases from the boiler and can often reduce any noise. A condensate pipe will need to be installed to comply with condensing technology requirements.
Oil boiler installation is a relatively quick process. We can usually get an oil boiler installed within a single day. As with any other boiler fuel or type there are lots of considerations when getting prices for oil boiler installation.
Get a free, no-obligation quote from Boilerhut and we may be able to install one for you within 2 days.
Need an oil boiler installation?
If you need a new or replacement oil boiler or are looking at having a full oil central heating system installation, get an online quote (it takes less than 1 minute), and you’ll get an instant price. But why choose Boilerhut:
- Quick oil boiler installation.
- Instant, no-obligation quote in less than 1 minute.
- Finance options available for new boilers and central heating installation.
- 10 warranty on oil boilers.
- ‘Excellent’ 5* customer satisfaction on Trustpilot.
- Fixed prices. No hidden extras.
- Get up to three quotes for different-tier boilers.