Ignoring the law and our advice to try and save some money by breaking the law and installing the boiler yourself is dangerous. You may be in breach of the law and can face hefty fines and possibly prison.
There are “armchair experts” online who may try to convince you to save money and install a boiler yourself. Please be warned, you will be putting yourself and your family, tenants or property buyers in danger.
No matter how good your understanding of how a combi boiler works is, below are some reasons why you should NEVER install a boiler yourself:
- A Gas Safe Registered Engineer spends 5 years studying and hit their true level of experience in 5-10 years.
- Flue Gas Analysers are required by law, which cost between £600 & £1000.
- Flues Gas Analysers need to be calibrated annually and hold a certificate.
- The suitability of the boiler for the property needs to be checked.
- Boiler siting needs to be safe and comply with Gas Safe & Building Regulations.
- Manufacturer-specified appropriate materials and fittings have to be used.
- If you’re not Gas Safe Registered and make a new gas connection to a boiler you will face heavy fines or prison.
- Equipment like Manometers test the gas supply and make sure the pressures are safe.
- Gas integrity needs to be tested prior to connecting the boiler, and again once connected.
- Let-by test & tightness tests are required.
- Flow rates need to be checked and adjusted.
- Gas Safe Engineers need to gas rate the boiler and check gas pressures and flue integrity.
After reading all of the above, if you still decide to chance-it and install the boiler and make gas connections yourself, you will invalidate the boiler warranty.
If you would like a Gas Safe Registered Installer to install your combi boiler or a certified heating expert to survey your property or answer further questions on how a combi boiler works, start by getting an online quote – start below.