First Published: February 1, 2024. Updated: February 15, 2024
Boiler Upgrade Scheme – What is is and how to apply
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme offers grants to homeowners to move to heat pumps. This will help reduce the reliance on fossil fuels like gas, LPG, oil and electric boilers.
This scheme is only open to people in England and Wales.
Heat pumps are super-efficient heating systems that can reduce your bills. However, to be eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, your home must be energy efficient. This means it won’t lose heat quickly.
The boiler upgrade scheme gives grants for:
- Air, ground and water source heat pumps up to £7,500.
- Biomass boilers up to £5,000.
- The grant doesn’t cover hybrid systems as these still use fossil fuels for part of their operation. They tend to use a conventional boiler for hot water generation.
Eligibility Criteria for Grant Application
To qualify for a grant, you must meet all the following criteria:
- You must own the property for which the grant is sought (this includes businesses, second homes, or rental properties)
- Have installed (or plan to install) a new heating system after 1 April 2022
- Replace a heating system powered by fossil fuels such as oil, gas, or electricity
- Previous funding for energy efficiency improvements, like insulation, does not affect your eligibility
Your property must have a current Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). This EPC must not have any unaddressed recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation.
If your EPC has recommendations, follow the guidance on addressing these. For advice on whether your property is suitable for a low-carbon heating system, consult an MCS-certified installer.
Biomass Boiler Grants
Grants for biomass boilers are available if your property is off the gas grid. You must also be located in a rural area and the boiler needs to meet emissions standards to minimise pollution. Biomass boilers in self-built properties are not eligible for grants.
Grants are not available for most new-build properties. They’re also not available for social housing or properties that have previously received government funding for a heat pump.
New build properties still under construction by the developer are ineligible. However, if you move into a completed new build with a fossil fuel boiler, you may qualify for a heat pump grant.
Self Build Properties
Self-built properties are eligible if they were personally constructed or commissioned by you or the original owner and have never been owned by a business or organisation. Proof of the property being a self-build, such as the title deeds, must be provided to your installer.
How can you apply to the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
Applying to the Boiler Upgrade Scheme is straightforward with the help of an MCS-certified installer. Here’s a simplified guide to the application process:
- Choose an MCS-Certified Installer: Start by selecting an installer who is certified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS).
- Home Assessment for Eligibility: The installer will assess your home and current heating system to confirm if you qualify for the scheme.
- Agree on Installation Costs: If you’re eligible, discuss and agree on a price for the installation with your installer.
Grant Application Submission: Your installer will apply for the grant on your behalf by submitting necessary details to Ofgem, the scheme administrator.
- Confirmation from Ofgem: Ofgem will contact you to confirm the details and ensure you agree with the assessment made by your installer.
The grant amount will be subtracted from your total installation cost. Remember, the grant voucher must be redeemed by the installer within three months for air source heat pumps or biomass boilers, and six months for ground source heat pumps.
To find the best installer, comparing quotes from several providers is wise. This could be time-consuming, involving extensive research and waiting for quotes.
For a more efficient approach, consider using Boilerhut. Just fill out the quick form, and we’ll contact you back. Fill in this questionnaire for a free quote >
Not eligible for a heat pump?
You may need a new gas, LPG or oil boiler instead. With today’s highly-efficient boilers, fossil fuel wastage is very low. The Viessmann Vitodens 200-W range is 98% efficient.
If you need a new or replacement boiler or are looking at having a central heating system installed, get an online quote (it takes less than 1 minute), and you’ll get an instant price.
But why choose Boilerhut:
- Quick central heating system installation. Next day boiler installation.
- ‘Excellent’ 5* customer satisfaction on Trustpilot.
- Finance options available for central heating or boiler installation.
- 10 to 12-year warranty on new boilers.
- Fixed prices. No hidden extras.
- Get up to three quotes for different-tier boilers.
- Instant, no-obligation quote in less than 1 minute.