Doing a Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review is easy-peasy, because it’s the best boiler available in the UK right now.
There is nothing else in the UK market even close to this.
A lot of manufacturers would like to call their models the best boiler, but it’s wishful thinking, without much substance.
Before we take a look at one of the best boilers in the world, let’s take a brief look at the manufacturer first:
Who are Viessmann UK?
Viessmann, as the name implies, is a German brand operating since 1917. They’ve operated in the UK for the past 30 years, since 1989.
Viessmann is a £2.03 billion company. They have a varied international presence with:
- Over 12,000 employees across the world.
- 23 production facilities in 12 countries.
- Subsidiaries and representations in 74 countries.
- Several sales offices around the world.
They are the undisputed world leaders in commercial heating. If you’ve felt warm and comfortable in large sports stadiums, theatres and corporate buildings, chances are that’s because of these massive Viessmann Commercial Boilers.
Recent awards for Viessmann include:
- Red Dot Award: Product Design.
- Trophée des Usines.
- iF product design award.
- Number 1 Trade Partner.
- Good Practice Energy Efficiency.
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review – Introduction
This Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review takes a detailed look at the winner of Which? Best Buy Boiler award for the 2nd year running in 2017 and 2018, and on track to repeat it in 2019.
Viessmann are going against Worcester Bosch and Vaillant in the fight for UK central heating dominance. Both of its rivals have been present in the UK almost 4 times longer, and so obviously have a better foothold in the UK market. But Viessmann have caught up quickly and are knocking at the door for UK central heating supremacy.
The 200-W we believe is the perfect weapon to do so. It comes in Combi and System variants, and brings energy efficiency to a whole new level.
- Up to 98% of the fuel used is converted into heat
- Quiet operation thanks to low fan speed
- Compact dimensions, only 450 mm wide
- Easy to operate Vitotronic control unit with 5 inch colour touchscreen
- Control via app and internet (with optional Vitoconnect 100 WLAN adaptor)
- Energy efficiency class: A
- Optionally available as combi (type BK2B) or system boiler (type B2HB)
- System boiler: Cascade with up to six boilers up to 594 kW possible
- Environmentally responsible MatriX cylinder burner
- Optional remote fault notifications for Viessmann Trained Installers
More Useful Information
- Width (mm) – 450
- Height (mm) – 850
- Depth (mm) – 375
- Weight (Kg) – 48
- ErP Space Heating Efficiency – A-grade
- ErP Water Heating Efficiency – A-grade
- Flow Rate (L/min) – 14.3
- Noise Levels (Decibels) – 39
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review – Cost
For a detailed look at the cost of new boiler, please click here to read our informative breakdown article.
Boiler (Supply only): For a Vitodens 35kw 200-W Combi Boiler, the best price as of 1st May we’ve found online WITH flue is £1,719.42 (3 year warranty)
Boiler with Installation and Extras: The price can range between £3,000 – £4,000 inc. VAT. If the boiler is installed by a premium installer such as Boilerhut, 5-10 year warranties are also available
What does a typical 200-W installation with extras cover?
This will depend on the inclusion of extras like removal of your old boiler, attic tank and hot water cylinder, upgrading gas runs/pipes, central heating system conversion to combi. For the best service and installation, we suggest some of or all of the following:
- Brand New, Modern Condensing Combination Boiler
- Horizontal or Vertical Flue
- Microbubble Deaerator [If Needed]
- Magnetic Filter – For a detailed guide, please read out ‘Are Magnetic Filters Worth it?‘ Blog post
- Limescale Filter
- Boiler Plus Legislation Compliant Programmable Thermostat
- Vitoconnect Wi-fi Interface
- With a Vitotronic 200 control unit, the ‘Vitotrol’ App offers convenient heating control any time, anywhere
- North Facing Weather Compensation
- Chemical Flush & Add an Approved Inhibitor
- Associated Pipe Work to Complete Installation
- Registration of Extended 5-10 Years Warranties (only available if installed by a premium installer like Boilerhut)
- Commission & Test to MFI & Complete Benchmark
- Building Regulation Notification with Certification including Landlord Certificates
- Hand Over & Induction on Boiler, Controls & Best Usage
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review – Easy-to-use Interface
The Vitodens 200-W comes fitted with a large touchscreen display allowing easy control, and the interface itself also supports remote control that you can use through your smartphone.
This type of remote control has been increasingly popular over the last few years, and makes understanding the complexities of how your boiler works a lot simpler and easier. If this isn’t the case and a fault has been picked up in your system, then you will be notified automatically.
By entering your contractor’s details into the app directly, you can save time by ensuring that they’re able to help you with any issues the moment they present themselves, removing all stress and panic from the situation. How about that for a quick and professional solution?
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review – Viessmann App Information
For Home Thermostats and central heating, Viessmann’s ‘ViCare’ app offers new possibilities for internet-controlled heating operation, and with an intuitive and simple graphic interface, the system gives full control to the user over one heating circuit. A mere swipe of the screen allows you to set the required room temperature, as well as the option to switch between ‘standard’ and ‘party mode’.
The ViCare App can react accordingly to where you are in relation to the property. So for instance, if you’re leaving the property, you can lower the temperature with just a simple command.
On top of this, the app will always provide tips on how you can save energy – making a hugely beneficial addition to your heating system.
On top of this option, there are also many other brands with impressive products in the smart thermostat range. For a detailed comparison for two of the most famous brands, take a look at our Nest vs Hive comparison article.
As well as ‘ViCare’, Viessmann has also developed the ‘Vitotrol’ App that can be equipped along with any Vitotronic 200 control unit installed. The basic benefits for this app include:
- Convenient operation via smartphone app
- Allows users to access information on your heating system at any time
- Heat distribution control
- Ideal for all domestic properties
- Can be used with all floor standing and wall-mounted Viessmann boilers
- Any important alerts are displayed in easy-to-read format
High-Performance Heat Exchanger
Much like in other Viessmann boilers, the stainless steel Inox-Radial heat exchanger is extremely durable and offers a corrosion-resistant solution that other boilers in the current market don’t supply.
Stainless steel is highly resistant to corrosion for many pH levels. For aluminum, if the proper fluids are not used to produce and maintain a narrow pH range, it can corrode much faster. and your heat exchanger will be permanently damaged – costing you more in the long run.
So while stainless steel might be more expensive to source or manufacture compared to aluminum, the investment will be more than worth it further down the line due to its corrosion-resistant qualities.
You can always appreciate the visual quality of the Viessmann 200-W with its sleek and professional look, but it’s also a very quiet piece of technology. With its internal design allowing it to operate at a noise level of only 39 decibels at a maximum of 26 kW, it works at a perfectly acceptable volume, even in busier areas of the house such as the kitchen.
Built to last with durability, and a high efficiency rate of up to 98%, it’s an incredibly easy choice.
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review – Weather Compensation
But how does Weather Compensation work?
- A sensor positioned on the north facing wall picks up information on the temperature outside and then sends back to the boiler controls.
- A temperature sensor is installed on a north facing wall, which is wired to the internal controls of your boiler.
- When there are changes in the outside temperature, the boiler will compensate by increasing or decreasing the temperature accordingly.
But what does this mean to the average user? You’ll be cosy and warm inside your house, and won’t even notice that the temperature has changed outside.
How does Weather Compensation Save Energy and Money?
Think about how the outside temperature drops at night, and how heat can then be lost through the walls. Even though improved insulation can definitely help, weather compensation seeks to minimise this.
Unfortunately, not everyone will have the luxury of excellent wall insulation – which is where weather compensation comes in.
Weather compensation uses data collected to determine when temperatures might fall again. By using this information, the boiler can then raise the temperature of the radiator and keep the property comfortably heated.
Without this weather compensation technology, the temperature is dependent on a room thermostat, which only takes effect after the inside of the building is too hot or too cold.
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review – Designed for lasting efficiency
With the use of its sleek touch screen interface, Inox-Radial heat exchanger and remote control system, you can see from this Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review that it’s a flexible and efficient wall mounted gas condensing boiler.
With Viessmann’s lasting experience dealing with the latest reliability and high-efficiency technology, this gas condensing boiler is ideal for:
- Detached houses
- Semi-detached houses
- Apartment buildings
For positioning, it can be easily wall mounted in any typical airing cupboard or bathroom recess.
Not only this, but it is extremely easy to maintain. All components are accessible through the front, allowing regular services to be a very easy process.
It’s easy to see that there’s not much competition as far as wall mounted recommended combi boilers go. By utilising all the best parts of affordable Viessmann models, including the future-proof Lambda Pro Control Combustion Controller, it’s king of the market.
On top of this, it’s also the prettiest and most technologically advanced boiler in the market featuring a 5 inch colour touchscreen. It adapts to different gas qualities automatically, so there is no need for an LPG conversion kit.
A whopping 98% energy efficiency makes this one of THE most efficient boilers in the UK. With the help of other accessories such as programmable or learning thermostats, this could even reach 100%. Icing on the cake; quietest combi boiler available in the UK, so it ticks all the boxes for visual and audio aspects of the home.
Viessmann’s Introduction to the Vitodens 200-W
For a professional, in-depth assessment of the Vitodens 200-w combi boiler, Viessmann has released the following video. It explores in a lot of detail the many benefits, capabilities and strengths that this premium wall-mounted gas-fired condensing boiler can offer.
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review – Verdict and Final Thoughts
Overall Rating: 9.5/10
Cost Effectiveness: 10/10
Energy Efficiency: 9.5/10
For those of you with a larger property, the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W is an absolute no-brainer. It provides exactly the right sort of no-nonsense heating that you’re looking for with the best engineering design in the industry. It provides this heating on an unprecedented level of efficiency, saving you a lot of money that would otherwise be taken out of your account thanks to your energy bills.
You might be wondering after reading this Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Review just how much an installation would cost. It can often be around £3,000 – £4,000 including extended warranties, weather compensation, expert gas safe installation, controls and other extras. So considering the excellent service and added products that may be included in this charge, it’s clearly a no-brainer!